This is a student body governing and programming volunteer position, ideal for those interested in determining and advancing the role of the Indiana Memorial Union and planning programs and events that promote the interests of Indiana University and its students.
By serving on the Indiana Memorial Union Board, volunteers actively engage with...
Serving a one-year term that begins January 1, 2018 and concludes December 31, 2018, directors are responsible for:
- Promoting the interest of Indiana University and its students
- Bringing about a greater spirit of unity and cooperation among all students
- Encouraging the development of leadership skills through active participation in the Indiana Memorial Union and its management
- Providing Indiana University and the community of Bloomington with the possible union facilities and programs
- Developing and maintaining programs and services that support the Indiana Memorial Union Board mission statement
- Supporting the educational development of all student members of the Indiana Memorial Union Board
At the time of application, individuals must have: full-time student status at Indiana University - Bloomington; a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 on a scale of 4.0.
Indiana Memorial Union Board volunteer positions require a commitment of one year. During the course of the term, Directors should anticipate at least 15-20 hours of project work per week, in addition to other regularly scheduled meetings.
Union Board of Directors Expectations
The Indiana Memorial Union Board of Directors believes that it is important for all prospective candidates to understand the time commitment that they are potentially making by participating in the Election/Selection Process. This is a highly rewarding volunteer experience, but it also requires a significant amount of time, energy, effort, and dedication. Listed below are some of the minimum time-related expectations of a Union Board Director once appointed:
TRAINING & ORIENTATION
Participate in new board member orientation, a number of dedicated orientation sessions taking place on weekends and throughout the weeks leading up to the end of finals.
- Union Board Mixer | Thursday, November 9, 2017 | 8:00PM | Union Board Office
- Office Orientation/IMU Tour | Week of November 12-17 | Days & Times TBD
- IMU Staff Meet & Greet | Week of November 26-December 2 | Day & Time TBD
- Executive Officer Determination | Saturday, December 2, 2017 | 11:00AM | IMU Room
- Executive Officer Training | Saturday, December 2, 2017 | 1:00PM | IMU Room
- Committee Director Determination | Sunday, December 3, 2017 | 11:00AM | IMU Room
BOARD & COMMITTEE MEETINGS
Student Directors are required to attend all Indiana Memorial Union Board of Directors meetings convened by the Union Board President. These meetings are scheduled every Thursday, from 6-8:00PM in the Distinguished Alumni Room. Student Directors must have active event committees comprised of Indiana Memorial Union Board members and hold regular event committee meetings. During the intersession (winter and summer break) a need for an emergency meeting may arise and be called for by the Union Board President. While not mandatory to remain on campus, Student Directors are expected to participate in these emergency meetings as they are able.
Attendance by Student Directors at bi-annual retreats is mandatory. Malkin Retreat is scheduled for January 5-7, 2018 and Fall Retreat is scheduled for August 13-14, 2018.
UNION BOARD CLASS
Once elected or selected onto the 2018 Board of Directors, each student is required to enroll into U495 - Leadership, Governance, & Student Programming. This is a 1-credit hour, first 8 week course designed to enhance the role of the Union Board Director.